Metal shearing equipment, i.e., the machines and tools used for metal shearing in Albuquerque, are crucial sets of equipment. Shearing is a process that removes unwanted metal from a large piece and makes it suitable for further procedures. This process is vital for several industries, be it manufacturing concerns or job work. However, these are machines and prone to issues.
In this blog, you will learn some common issues with metal shearing equipment and how to troubleshoot them.
Sheared metals are useful when they are cleanly cut and precise, but if you observe jagged ends, uneven cuts, uneven thickness, or poor quality, indicates the presence of underlying issues that can stem from the following reasons:
- Dull Blades: With regular usage, and wear-and-tear, the blades on the machines become dull and cause poor-quality cuts. A regular inspection of all the metal shearing equipment is necessary so dull blades can be replaced in time, and uneven cuts can be avoided.
- Incorrect Blade Gap: Every machine has a standard for the blade gap. It results in uneven cuts if it is inconsistent with the manufacturer’s guidelines or is not set correctly.
- Material Issues: Every shearing expert knows that not every metal is distinct and that a single machine or blade cannot accomplish the task. One must assess the metal before commencing the shearing process. Hard metals like carbon steel or stainless steel pose a challenge, and thus, shearing parameters must be adjusted to suit the metal type.
Machine Jamming or Stalling
If you are into metal shearing, you must have encountered this problem wherein the machines jam or stall unexpectedly during operation. This delicate issue necessitates careful handling to prevent damage to both the blades and the metals involved. The following reasons can be attributed to machine jamming.
- Material Misalignment: Before you commence the operation, ensure that metal sheets are properly aligned and set, else they cause jamming.
- Insufficient Lubrication: The cause of jamming sometimes might be the lack of lubrication between the metal and the blades. It is important to keep lubricating the equipment from time to time.
- Hydraulic System Problems: If the shearing machine is hydraulically powered, issues with the hydraulic system, such as low fluid levels or pump malfunctions, can cause jamming. Inspect the hydraulic system for any leaks or malfunctions, and address them promptly.
Excessive Noise or Vibration
Metal shearing is a noiseless process. So, if you witness excessive noise or vibration during the shearing process, the operation must be stopped promptly, and the issues must be resolved quickly. The reason for such noise can be any one of the following:
- Loose or Misaligned Components: Over time, small components such as blades, guides, or fasteners might come loose or get misaligned, which causes the vibration. Locate them or call in a professional to fix the problem.
- Worn or Damaged Blades: When blades are worn and dull, they make excessive noise against the metal and consume more time. These must be inspected regularly and changed.
- Mounting Issues: A prerequisite for operating the shearing equipment is that the machine must be placed on an even ground or surface. If the foundation is not sturdy and stable, it will cause noise.
Electrical or Control System Malfunctions
Electrical or control system malfunctions can affect the performance and safety of the shearing equipment:
- Faulty Controls or Sensors: Controls and sensors ensure consistent shearing, but the shearing process is disrupted when they malfunction. Their timely inspection and calibration are essential.
- Power Supply Issues: When you work around machines, it is imperative to ensure that the power supply is consistent and connections are secure. Abrupt power cuts and voltage fluctuation can damage the machines. Ensure that your power supply sources are stable.
- Safety System Interference: Some shearing machines have safety systems that automatically stop or interrupt the cutting process. If the machine unexpectedly stops or shows frequent interruptions, check the safety systems and ensure they are not being triggered unnecessarily.
Expert Metal Shearing Services in Albuquerque
Metal shearing is not just a process but a skill requiring expertise and the consistency of machines to produce the desired results. However, troubleshooting common issues is vital to maintaining optimal performance and productivity.
It can be overwhelming, but our New Mexico Metals LLC experts keep our machines in good condition. We have three shearing machines, Cincinnati 1810 ¼” x 10’ mechanical squaring shear, Pexto Model 12U52 mechanical squaring shear, and GEKA Ironworker, to produce precise, clean, and efficient cuts.
For metal shearing in Albuquerque, choose us; choose the experts.